Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Tony Cheng's Restaurant: All You Can Eat Mongolian BBQ

This past week, I chose to eat at Tony Cheng's restaurant, located in Chinatown. This restaurant stood out to me among all others in Chinatown, since it actually has two different restaurants within one; the ground floor serving Mongolian food, while the upstairs hosts a Chinese restaurant. I went out to eat with about 15 of my friends from the area, and to shorten the waiting time, we all decided to order the Mongolian all you can eat buffet. We were seated at a large table to the left of where they were serving the food.  Rather than displaying the food on a cart, this restaurant actually had a circular grill in the middle of the ground floor, with chefs cooking from behind the counter. Around the grill, there were a variety of ingredients to make a stir-fry, such as broccoli, noodles, sprouts, mongolian beef, chicken, seafood, carrots, and many other vegetables. Once we were finished adding our ingredients, we handed our bowls to the chefs, who asked us to choose our sauces (garlic, spicy, etc...) and proceeded to stir-fry our meals right in front of us. The meal was ready in less than 5 minutes, and the chefs were very accommodating. As soon as I got my plate, the chef that cooked my meal asked me to try it and see if I liked it before taking my seat. The food was WONDERFUL. A bit salty, but very, very good. After finishing my first two bowls, I could certainly tell why they created the 'all you can eat' option... everyone at my table went back for more. The cost was only about $16 each, which I thought was a very good deal.  I took a look at the regular menu, and realized that their a la carte menu was actually a lot cheaper-- with most of the items under $14. I am still glad I chose the buffet, as I tried a variety of stir-fry combinations each time I got more.



The scenery was very nice inside-plain, but very restored. The chinese restaurant upstairs looked a little more formal- and had a long wait to get in, so I would be curious to try that next!

No comments:

Post a Comment