Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Noodle King- Silver Spring's Little Secret

Last weekend, while I was visiting family in Silver Spring, MD, I mentioned to my Aunt that I was working on an Asian food blog--so she suggested that we get carryout for dinner. The place she recommended was called Noodle King, and was a tiny tiny restaurant right off of New Hampshire Avenue.    We placed our order at home and drove to pick it up about 15 minutes later. When I first saw the restaurant, I was somewhat shocked, since I was expecting to see a large, newer-looking restaurant. Instead, it was a small building with a yellow awning.

When we walked in, the waitress greeted us immediately, with a huge smile across her face. She assisted us without hesitation, and even initiated small talk, despite the language barrier. While she was talking to my Aunt, I looked around, and noticed that ALL of the clientele was Asian. After reviewing a handful of Asian restaurants up to this point, this is the first time I have seen such cultural dominance in a restaurant. I mentioned it to my Aunt as we walked out, and she reminded me that it was simply an indication of how authentic their food is.  

Unfortunately, I was limited to ordering a seafood and vegetable dish, since it was a Friday during Lent. I ordered the steamed shrimp with mixed vegetables for $10.95, while my Aunt ordered the Egg Fo Young for $8.95. We also ordered the egg drop soup, which was only $3.50 for a quart, and two orders of egg rolls, which cost $2.50 for 2. 




Although the pictures may not LOOK very appetizing, all I can say is, the food was above and beyond what I expected. The shrimp was amazingly fresh, and the vegetables were cooked to the perfect consistency. The Egg Fo Young was also exceptionally good. It was the first time I had ever tried it, but I was very pleased. The soup was fresh and the egg rolls were crispy. Overall, it was a very satisfying meal, and I will definitely ask to order from there again in the future! 

No comments:

Post a Comment