Sunday, February 13, 2011

Things to do in Chinatown: Oya Restaurant & Lounge

For my second blog post, I decided to go to Oya, a contemporary Asia-French fusion restaurant in Chinatown. It was certainly a lot different from the previous restaurant, Meiwah, that I reviewed last week. I expected it to be a nice restaurant, but when I first walked into Oya, I was truly impressed. To the right, there is a marble desk (similar to that of a luxury hotel) with two hosts ready to welcome you. I was greeted immediately, and was encouraged to over toward the bar area where they were having happy hour. Looking over toward the bar, I could see the rectangular marble fireplace built deep into the wall, with a low flame spanning the length that connected the two sides of the bar. The walls were ornate and decorated with a combination of shimmering light gold & black and white swirled wallpaper, to match the black and white marble that was found all throughout the restaurant. Directly in front of the restaurant is a lounge area, with couches, black and white throw pillows, and marble tables with candles in the center.

the lounge/bar area
When my friends arrived, we were seated in the main dining area, which was very loud. In addition to the music that was on in the background, the restaurant was very loud in general. I could barely make conversation with my friends without repeating myself once or twice. We had a reservation for 7:30, which seems to be a very busy time for the restaurant, and although they had a room or two for private parties, I think the overall noise level would be better if the restaurant were split up into different parts, rather than one big dining room.

one of the private rooms to the side

fireplace in the main dining room

the main dining room
When we were seated, the waiter was very nice and welcoming. Of course, I had to repeat my order twice, because it was so loud! He brought us small bread puffs while we looked at the menu. They are small but very good!

bread puffs (for a lack of a better name)

The menu had a lot to offer--everything from sushi, to fish & chips, lobster mac and cheese, and BBQ sticky ribs. Each item on the menu had its own asian twist, which I found to be very interesting. While it would be easy to spend a lot of money on one of their entrees, it is possible to order cheaply. I ordered the spicy california rolls, as well as the spinach-eggplant dish as a side dish, which total $14 without tip. The portions were just the right size~and I didn't leave the restaurant overly full.
spicy california rolls

japanese eggplant & spinach. yum!
Both of my dishes were amazing! The eggplant was very flavorful, and the sushi was perfect! I would definitely order both of them again!

My roommate Trinh ordered the shrimp bowl and the Mai Thai chicken salad. I tasted a bite of both, and they were just as good as mine! I especially liked the shrimp bowl; the rice wasn't the least bit dry, and it went really well with the shrimp. The chicken salad was also good- i've never had anything like it. It was a combination of green papaya, bean sprouts, mint, cilantro, peppers, crispy noodles, and a sesame honey vinegarette.

mai thai chicken salad

shrimp bowl
My friend Alex got the roasted chicken, which came with coriander risotto, asparagus, and mushroom stew. It tasted as good as it looked!

roasted chicken
My friend Anna ordered the grilled beef serloin, which came with coriander pepper, ginger carrots, and fingerling potatoes. I tried a bite-and was very impressed! The meat was perfect, but the potatoes were a bit bland. The carrots were my favorite-the ginger definitely added a special touch!

grilled beef serloin

Even the restrooms looked nice! 

nice bathroom!



the walkway to the bathroom.....and my roommate being silly 
Since it was a full house, it did take a long time to get our food. While the service was friendly, I left the restaurant feeling as if they could have been more attentive to our table, especially since there was a long wait. The waiters seemed very rushed and distracted, which is something the restaurant could use improvement on.

Overall, I was very pleased with Oya. The food and decor were amazing; and if it hadn't been for the noise level in the restaurant, I would have said it was the perfect restaurant. I would definitely recommend to go for an early dinner or happy hour. From the six dishes I tried, I have a feeling that anything on the menu would exceed expectations!

If you are looking for other things to do in Chinatown, there are a variety of options.  Located right beside the Chinatown metro (about two tenths of a mile from Oya- about a 4 minute walk), there is a bowling alley, a sports bar, a movie theatre, and a Haagen Dazs all within the same indoor complex. Click the link below for movie show times!

Click here to see what's showing at the Gallery Place Regal Cinema

The Lucky Strike Bowling Alley is also a convenient before or after dinner activity for those who want to spend more time in Chinatown.

The Verizon Center is also located right beside the Chinatown metro. Click here to view upcoming Verizon Center events, ranging from music to sports!

Whatever you choose to do in Chinatown, Oya Restaurant & Lounge is a very unique, trendy restaurant to enjoy a meal, and is sure to please!







No comments:

Post a Comment